Our playlist sharer for this week is one of the people I follow here on WordPress. As a music lover and a cinephile, she remains true to her feature articles and reviews. Hence, what she writes is always remarkable. You should follow her blogs, The Ü and Brimstone Tales.
1. Please introduce yourself.
Hello, this is Jade from Singapore. Thanks for allowing me to share my favourite music with you!
2. What do you do / what keeps you busy?
I currently work in marketing. In my downtime, you’re likely to find me at the cinema and live concerts. I enjoy several things, including watching movies, writing, playing the guitar, and cycling. 24 hours in a day just aren’t enough!
3. How did you come to love music? How would you consider yourself, a melophile (music lover) or a melomaniac (music addict that’s hyperbolically abnormal haha)?
My love for music might have begun in primary school, when I picked up a Bryan Adams cassette tape at age 13 out of curiosity. Over the years, I discovered more music through friends and on CDs, before Spotify became an essential. Melomaniac sounds about right!
4. What’s your most favorite genre and why? Sorry, but you can only choose one.
Rock is my go-to (though I have a huge love for heavy metal)! It is not only cathartic, but responsible for the most fun I had during concerts. The genre also brings people together across cultures and continents like no other.
5. Who’s your most favorite artist in the world and why? You may choose two.
Just two? You’re asking the impossible! 😉 If I have to, Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden are always at the top of my mental charts. Both are my gateway bands to every musician they have ever influenced. It is a truly massive list.
6. What’s your most favorite song in the world and why? You may choose up to three.
I am excluding the discographies of Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden, or we will be here all day. Here are three off the top of my head:-
- Pearl Jam’s State of Love and Trust, for Eddie Vedder’s always impassioned vocal,
- Nine Inch Nails’ Right Where It Belongs, for Trent Reznor’s lyrical honesty; and
- Rival Sons’ Manifest Destiny Part 1, for its hypnotic beauty.
7. Please tell us about your playlist. You may choose to explain a few songs and tracks in it, and relate it to what you do in your daily life/work.
It has been a while since I caught up with Supernatural, but the Winchester Mixtape remains my favourite playlist. I listen to it at work almost every day. It comprises some of the finest classic rock, including a whole lotta Zeppelin, and these all-time favourites:
- Kansas’ Carry on My Wayward Son (You can’t have a Winchester tape without Kansas)
- Rush’s YYZ
- Heart’s Barracuda
- Bruce Springsteen’s Dancing in the Dark (which I fell in love with since The Place Beyond the Pines. As a cinephile, I do discover many favourite songs through films!)
End… scene! Before I drown in my own world, I’m stopping myself right here. Cheers for reading all that, and enjoy this playlist. x
Art by Jim Morada